Fourth officer from same Wandsworth police unit convicted of rape

Three guilty verdicts in three years from a single south-west London policing area.
Southwark Crown Court
Southwark Crown Court

PC Rupert Edwards was convicted at Southwark Crown Court on Friday of raping a woman on New Year’s Day 2018 while off duty. He is the third officer from the Metropolitan Police’s South West Command Unit to be found guilty of a serious sexual offence in three years.

Chief Superintendent Dan Knowles, head of policing for south-west London, said: “This was a despicable offence and I have huge admiration and gratitude for the victim for having the courage to come forward and report PC Edwards.”

Edwards had faced rape allegations from two other women in August and September 2022 but was acquitted in both cases. Prosecutors used recorded interviews and cross-examination from those earlier trials as evidence of a pattern of behaviour, and barristers gave the jury context from those cases to support the prosecution. The court agreed to the approach, which is not standard.

Knowles said: “It was a bold step to use evidence from his previous trial to support this latest prosecution and demonstrates our commitment to supporting victims of police perpetrated abuse.”

He added: “Detectives in this case carried out a diligent investigation, ensuring PC Edwards was charged at the earliest opportunity and that the most compelling evidence was brought before the courts.”

The assault was reported to police in October 2023, when a woman said she had been raped on 1 January 2018 following a New Year’s Eve party. Edwards was arrested on 29 April 2024 and charged with rape on 12 March 2025. The Met says all three victims have been supported by specialist officers.

Edwards, who remains suspended from duty, will be sentenced at Southwark Crown Court on 10 July. A misconduct hearing paused during the trial will now proceed, with the Met seeking his dismissal.

A fourth officer from the same unit

Edwards is the fourth officer from the South West Command Unit to face serious sexual offence proceedings in three years. Three have now been convicted.

SW BCU officers — Putney.news
Four officers, one unit
South West Command Unit — sexual offence proceedings, 2024–2026
2024
PC Cliff Mitchell
Convicted
Multiple rapes
Life sentence
March 2025
PC Nick Whitcombe
Case ongoing
Rape and sexual assault charges
Trial date not yet set
16 April 2026
PC Dion Arnold
Convicted
Four rapes and sexual assaults
Sentencing: 22 June 2026
22 May 2026
PC Rupert Edwards
Convicted
Rape (2018 offence, reported 2023)
Sentencing: 10 July 2026
Source: Metropolitan Police; Putney.news reporting.
Note: PC Whitcombe’s case is ongoing. No verdict has been reached.

PC Cliff Mitchell was convicted in 2024 and received a life sentence for multiple rapes. PC Dion Arnold was convicted on 16 April and will be sentenced at Guildford Crown Court on 22 June. PC Nick Whitcombe faces charges of rape and sexual assault. His case is ongoing.

Arnold’s conviction last month raised questions about culture, vetting and professional standards at the unit. A fourth conviction has not reduced those questions. The South West Command Unit covers Wandsworth, Richmond, Merton and Kingston upon Thames.

Operation Onyx, the Met’s review of sexual and domestic abuse cases, has led to 378 individuals leaving the force from 1,636 completed cases. Around 1,500 officers and staff in total have left since 2022. The Met says it has added 200 officers dedicated to investigating misconduct.

Knowles said: “Dangerous offenders of all types who seek to harm women and girls will be relentlessly pursued and justice will be served.”

He added: “My message to anyone who may have experienced something that didn’t feel right is that you can and should come forward. You will be listened to, and we will do everything we can to support you.”


Anyone who has experienced something similar can report to police by calling 101 (non-emergency) or 999 in an emergency. Anonymous reports can be made to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Support is available from Rape Crisis England and Wales at rapecrisis.org.uk or on 0808 500 2222.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts
Total
0
Share